UK TEA BREWERS CHAMPIONSHIP
We are delighted to announce the launch of The UK Tea Brewer's Championship
in partnership with The Beverage Standards Association.
We need all you skilled and enthusiastic professionals to sign up and show the UK your fabulous, innovative ways with tea!
FIRST PRIZE: The grand winner of the UK Tea Brewer's Championship will win free Tea Champion and Tea Sommelier courses with the UKTA (or other UKTA courses to the value of £1000 if these courses have been completed).
Runners up will win a selection of fine Limited Edition teas from top tea companies.
The competition is:
- a professional platform to showcase the talent of anyone working in the tea service industry (i.e. working in: Hotels, Restaurants, Cafés, Tea Houses, Tea Rooms, Coffee Shops, Tea/Coffee companies) who want to show off their craft and flair in producing a range of tea beverages to a professional standard. If you are dedicated tea enthusiast not working in the F&B sector - no problem! We want to see your skills too.
- a way to improve the standards of tea served in the Out of Home (OOH) market throughout the UK, Europe and Asia
ENTRY CRITERIA: The competition is open to anyone working in the tea serving industry (i.e. working in: Hotels, Restaurants, Cafés, Tea Houses, Tea Rooms, Coffee Shops, Tea/Coffee companies) and dedicated amateur tea brewers.
- Classic Brewing Skills session: Candidates will be asked to prepare the perfect cup of tea in each category of teas (green, white, black, yellow etc.) using the classic methods and classic standards (water capacity, quantity of tea, different temperatures, etc).
- Description and tasting notes comparison vs actual taste of the competitor’s chosen teas for the preparation of the classic teas per each category.
- Description and tasting notes comparison vs actual taste of the competitor’s signature drink chosen tea (prepared in a classic way and with no added ingredients)
- Signature Drink session: competitors will showcase a Signature Tea Based Drink of their choice/invention; this can be prepared using any chosen brewing/extraction methods and can contain different ingredients including spirits, syrups, veg and fruits, and it can be a cold or hot drink.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Only loose teas shall be used during the competition (infusions shall not be used for the preparation of the signature drinks unless they contain pure teas in them).
- The Candidates will have to bring their chosen teas to prepare their signature drink; they will need to be able to explain the reasons behind their choice and the tasting profile of their teas while doing the brewing.
- The signature drink shall be the same throughout the competition and shall be tasting consistently also throughout the competition.
In the inaugural year – 2019/20 the elimination process will be
- Heat one at the BSA PopUp Show on Thursday 20th June 2019
- Heat two at Caffe Culture held on the 28th & 29th October 2019 (on day 1 & 2)
- Semi-final and Finals will be held at the London Tea Show, which which will take place in March 2020 at the Business Design Centre, Islington, London.